segunda-feira, 4 de julho de 2016

Nigel Farage resigns as UKIP leader



Prominent leave campaigner Nigel Farage stepped down Monday as leader of the eurosceptic United Kingdom Independence Party.

Announcing his resignation to the press, Farage said that he had achieved his political goal in light of the UK's decision to leave the European Union in the June 23 referendum.

"My aim in being in politics was to get Britain out of the EU, that is what we voted for in that referendum two weeks ago," Farage said.

"I've done my bit, I couldn't possibly achieve more."

Farage, who is also a member of the European Parliament, had been UKIP leader since 2010 and had spent the majority of his political life advocating for the UK's departure from the EU.

He said he would "continue to support the party, support the new leader, watch the renegotiation process in Brussels like a hawk and, perhaps, comment in the European Parliament."

A central figure in the "leave" campaign in the lead up to the UK's EU referendum, Farage described Friday June 24 as British "independence day."

His role in the campaign drew accusations of populism and xenophobia from politicians on both sides of the campaign.

One controversial "leave" poster depicted a line of migrants on the Slovenian border with the words "Breaking Point."

Leader of the "remain" campaign and British Prime Minister David Cameron said the poster was "wrong in fact and in motivation."

Farage said the referendum campaign had been difficult at times.

"During the referendum I said that I wanted to take back my country, what I am saying today is that I want to take back my life and I will start right now," Farage said.

Farage had previously announced he would stand down after losing the South Thanet constituency in the 2015 general elections but he stayed on as leader after the party rejected his resignation.

Source: EFE

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário